Wednesday, 16 April 2014

PEI Burger Love: The Prohibition at St. James' Gate

Happy Burger Love Day, Everyone! Toady, April 16th, 2014 marks our annual Burger Day that takes place each April when our whole Province celebrates the amazingness of Beef! I personally have been so inspired by the culinary creations that brilliant chefs have come up with that it's become my, as PEI Burger Love says "Beefy Muse". And oh, what a tasty muse it is! So today, of course, I couldn't miss celebrating the official day for Burger Lovers!

Which left me wondering, which Burger should I eat on these beefiest of beeftastic days? Well, as soon as I read the tantalizing ingredients in The Prohibition from St. James' Gate, my course of action became very clear! "To the Gate!" I cried. And then ran like the dickens!
Welcomed in by a sunny smile from Lydia, I knew that the Burger Love glow was radiating off of everyone. A big huzzah to Lydia for being super sweet and totally excited about Burger Love, just like me!

Now, I feel like I should give readers a little history lesson and it's not about the liquor-banned years of the real Prohibition, this is about St. James' Gate and their Burger Love creations from years past. Each one has always had every single ingredient infused with some sort of alcohol, a delicious prospect to be sure. But this year they decided to do something a little different and gave it a very apt and ironically cute name. The Prohibition, as you may have guessed by now, includes no alcohol infused ingredients.

And let me just say, that with the creative minds of Chefs Mikolai Lykow and Corey Johnson, this criminally good burger is just bursting at the seams with deliciousness! And even though there's no alcohol in The Prohibition, I'm punch drunk in love!

It's no wonder, with 7oz of Seasoned Island Beef, Mild Italian Sausage Slices, Charnwood English Smoked Cheddar, Sweet Onion and Goat Cheese Relish, a haystack of Crisp Red Beet Strings, Roasted Red Peppers, Tomato Chutney and Romaine Lettuce on a House Made Corn Bread Bun garnished with a toasted Pita Chip Heart with Red Pepper Jam.

A truly beautiful Burger Love creation and it's got presence galore! Picture perfect with all of it's colorful ingredients and intoxicatingly alluring with the harmony of flavors that conjure up a lovely scent so good it should be illegal!

Of course one of the things that make this Burger the perfect tribute to PEI Burger Love Day is that absolutely adorable heart shaped pita chip topper with red pepper jam. It was almost too cute to eat. Almost. Honestly, when something smells that good I'm not going to restrain myself. So I dove right in and took a bite of the warm and crispy pita that kissed me with it's sweet and spicy roasted red pepper jam.

From my very first bite, The Prohibition lays down the laws of delectability! It's southwest flavors meets Prince Edward Island all with an appeal that leads from one bite to another and to, well, another! It's warmth embraces you in a flawless combination of sweet, spicy and savory.

 
The moist and juicy melt in your mouth beef is another reason this Burger is perfect for PEI BL's Offical Day! It's fine ground and perfectly tender with each bite and becomes the amazing flavors around it. Pair that with the Mild Italian Sausage slices, it gives a unique edge of yum to the two meats, which leads me to say. "I love sausage on burgers!" I mean I'm a sausage lover but to be honest it was even better than I could have imagined.

Next comes the smoky Charnwood English Cheddar in all of it's thoroughly pleasing meltyness. Yes, that was a long sentence of emotionally driven love, but hey, the cheese was just that good! It's a delicious presence on the Prohibition and adds to it's blend of epic flavors. Paired with the crunch and sweet beets, the two accentuate each other's uniqueness. The caramelized and creamy goat cheese sweet onion jam is another lay of heaven on this burger stacked high with pleasure.


All of these way too good ingredients are tucked between an incredible corn bread bun that's sweet and crispy; the perfect compliment to The Prohibition! An unexpected twist, it gives the burger even more pizzazz! Those heavenly crunchy edges, ideal texture and unmatchable flavor cinched this as some of the best corn bread I've ever had!

On the side I got St. James' Gate's House Cut Fries with Cajun Garlic Butter on them. I mean, I know butter is good on everything but it's definitely best with fries! The spiced butter not only takes their flavor to a new level but also gives them this awesome crunch. These thick cut, hearty fries are perfect along side The Prohibition!

During the true Prohibition women used to campaign with this statement: "Lips That Touch Liquor Shall Never Touch Ours." Well, this woman has something quite different to say! Lips that touch this burger can certainly touch time! Bring it on, St. James Gate, because I'm in love with what you're dishing out!

They used to say "Lips that Touch Liquor Will Never Touch Ours". Well lips that touch this burger can certainly touch mine! Bring it on St. James' Gate, because I'm in love with what you're dishing out!

And a big shout out to Troy at the Gate! I had a great time chatting about local food and hearing your perspective on our incredible Island and all the potential we have as a foodie's playground! You're an all around awesome guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment